List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Code Removal
From:       Martin =?utf-8?q?Gr=C3=A4=C3=9Flin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2011-01-30 17:12:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 30 January 2011 16:59:16 Thomas Lübking wrote:
> > I just see one problem with it: BC.
>
> Why? The effect plugins have a version tag to guarantee API matches, this
> covers ABI as well.
> Whenever the tag gets bumped the distros will have to update the package,
> the situation would
> be not much different as it is atm with 3rd party plugins, just that KDE
> would host them and
> KWin could put some less relevant effects there which are currently in the
> core.
I also don't like the idea of bug reports like "I updated to KDE 4.x and now
my effects stopped working". Therefore solving the BC issue first might be
nice. I am currently thinking over an idea which *might* be a solution. But
that's for a different thread ;-)

> > Maybe in plasma-addons released  together with workspace it makes more
> > sense?
>
> This would not free us from development restrictions (i18n) or pace
> (delays on serious bugfixes
> delays, just think of the flipswitch issue - which i can stunningly not
> reproduce...), yesno?
I don't want to do release management, so I'd prefer to have it in a repo
released together with KDE. And for the moment we should stop thinking about
it or sysadmins are going to kill us :-P

Oh and I am also unable to reproduce the flipswitch problem. I switched to it
as default Alt+Tab, but unreproducable.