List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: New Shadow System
From:       Sam Spilsbury <smspillaz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-27 13:33:38

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Hugo Pereira Da Costa
<hugo@oxygen-icons.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 January 2011 12:38:15 Sam Spilsbury wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Hugo Pereira Da Costa
>>
>> <hugo@oxygen-icons.org> wrote:

>> > I'm all for it. In fact since oxygen already deals with shadow using some
>> > plasma-like code, the suggested solution is pretty easy.
>>
>> Sure. I assume that the kde4-window-decorator is to read this property,
>> yes?
>>
>> > Only concern I have is how do I actually pass a QPixmap as a X property
>> > :)
>>
>> Get the X11 pixmap handle and save that inside the window property.
>> The X11 pixmap is available to all applications, so kde4-w-d and kwin
>> should be able to just read it.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I was following a different path on my side, namely pass the pixmaps the same
> way as icons are passed to the _NET_WM_ICON. (that is: the entire pixmap data
> are passed, and not the X11 handle).
>
> Does passing the handle put additional requirements on the pixmap's lifetime ?

It requires that the pixmap actually be allocated in the server,
otherwise the application trying to read it will get a BadAccess. It
is the faster way of doing it though, if you plan on changing the
pixmap content often since any app can just register for damage events
on that pixmap and paint it accordingly.

--
Sam Spilsbury