List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: New Shadow System
From:       Hugo Pereira Da Costa <hugo () oxygen-icons ! org>
Date:       2011-01-27 13:19:48

On Thursday 27 January 2011 12:38:15 Sam Spilsbury wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Hugo Pereira Da Costa
>
> <hugo@oxygen-icons.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 January 2011 21:35:15 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have been gathering some ideas about how to do window shadows better
> >> in a composited window manager and how to give control of the shadows
> >> to the widget style. I wrote down my current ideas for (undecorated)
> >> windows in [1]. The approach can easily be extended to support
> >> decorated windows (active and inactive state).
> >>
> >> Please all have a look at it and provide some feedback. Feel free to
> >> change/extend it to whatever you think. The idea is mostly based on
> >> discussions with Hugo (Oxygen) with some ideas coming from a discussion
> >> with Thomas (Bespin), but I would also love to have feedback from other
> >> widget style developers like Christoph and Craig.
> >>
> >> Furthermore if you look at the proposal you will see some _KDE_NET_WM
> >> hints. So I want to have this "upstreamed" after it is implemented.
> >> That's why I cc- ed Sam to get some early feedback from the cross-wm
> >> front ;-) Does the approach work for Compiz as well and does it make
> >> sense to go the way through EWMH?
> >>
> >> Thanks to all making Shadows in 4.7 rock :-D
> >
> > I'm all for it. In fact since oxygen already deals with shadow using some
> > plasma-like code, the suggested solution is pretty easy.
>
> Sure. I assume that the kde4-window-decorator is to read this property,
> yes?
>
> > Only concern I have is how do I actually pass a QPixmap as a X property
> > :)
>
> Get the X11 pixmap handle and save that inside the window property.
> The X11 pixmap is available to all applications, so kde4-w-d and kwin
> should be able to just read it.

Interesting.

I was following a different path on my side, namely pass the pixmaps the same
way as icons are passed to the _NET_WM_ICON. (that is: the entire pixmap data
are passed, and not the X11 handle).

Does passing the handle put additional requirements on the pixmap's lifetime ?

Is it better to pass the handle to an existing pixmap, or the full pixmap ?
(for the record: Qt's code for converting QIcon into _NET_WM_ICON compliant
format is in qt/src/gui/kernel/qwidget_x11.cpp ::setWindowIcon_sys)

Hugo