List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KWin GLES needs testers
From:       Ignat Semenov <ragnarokk91 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-06 22:15:01

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Martin Gräßlin
<kde@martin-graesslin.com> wrote:

>> >I think it is caused by Qt pulling in desktop GL. I still don't
>> >understands why it works on my system, I would have expected that it
>> >crashes due to Qt pulling in desktop GL
>>
>> Is it possible to solve that by recompiling Qt with different config
>> without desktop GL version or with GL ES version? Resources available
>> for recompiling all of Qt ten times :)
> It could cause issues in other parts using Qt, though I have no idea what
> config switch is needed.

-opengl es2 in ./configure. Although they say that this might break
the whole of Qt where desktop GL is necessary, just as you said.

Now here's some great news for you:
One Russian guy (bet you can't read Russian, so just believe me:)) has
succesfully built AND launched KWin on OpenGl ES 2.0 on a Radeon
graphics card )dn't know his exact hardware). Look here:
http://www.linux.org.ru/forum/talks/5756492?lastmod=1294236086077
Google Translate will help you :)

He hasn't needed even t recompile Qt with OpeGL ES 2.0 support! That's
right what you were saying there - runs no problem, albeit with
artifacts.
>> And, uhm, what about Lanczos in desktop GL version (GL 2.0 to be
>> exact)? Is it supposed to work at all?
> Yes it is supposed to work. It definately works in GLES and with desktop GL
> 1.x. I think I also tested desktop GL 2.x.

For me (NVIDIA 260.19.29) it didn't *seem* to work, as in didn't look
nice enough, it really didn't look nice at all. Like some bad nouveau
(sorry guys, had to say.) Can't test now, however.

> Martin

Anyway, tomorrow I will try to recompile Qt with OpenGL ES 2.0 and see
what that gives, if anything.

Regards,
Ignat Semenov