List:       kwin
Subject:    Question about focus stealing.
From:       Tom Walsh <twalsh () mathworks ! com>
Date:       2010-09-02 19:04:14

Greetings, KWin Developers,

We're having trouble bringing our on windows to the foreground in KDE,
except when focus stealing is completely disabled.

I asked the question here, and they recommended I email you folks:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=89632

This application is a bit of an oddball, since various parts of it are
written using different GUI frameworks. So, for example, some windows
are Qt-based, some are Java-based, and some are raw X11.

The problem we've got is if one of our Qt windows tries to open a Java
window, the new Java window will come up "behind" the Qt window. So,
maybe the user selects a "bring up the preferences dialog" menu. But,
that preferences dialog (Java) comes up BEHIND the original window (Qt).
Remember, both of these windows are from the same application! The same
is true for, say raw X11 windows not coming up over Java, or any of the
other combinations.

What I believe is going on is that KDE is erroneously concluding that
our Java windows are coming from a different application than our Qt
windows are, which in turn are coming from a different application than
our X11 windows are.

It might be worth noting that each of these GUI frameworks is making its
own call to "XOpenDisplay". In other words, there are three separate
Display connections used by this single program.

So, my question: is there anything we can do, perhaps at XOpenDisplay
time, that will let KDE be able to figure out that these windows are all
from the same application? Or, can anyone tell me where in the KDE
source code I can look to try to understand how KDE determines what
windows come from what applications? Even just a pointer to the "focus
stealing prevention" code, or its documentation, would be a big help.

Thanks for any insight you can give,
Tom W.