List:       kwin
Subject:    RFC on Kwin-tiling patch
From:       Nikhil Marathe <nsm.nikhil () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-13 6:50:05

Hi all,

(The previous message was blocked due to a large attachment size )
I have created a diff of kwin-tiling@1034555 vs trunk@1034562.
It can be downloaded here
http://22bits.exofire.net/downloads/kwin-tiling-1034562-trunk.diff

I'm looking for volunteers willing to try it out and report on any
bugs found. At this point you may mail feature requests too, but I
won't work upon them immediately. When reporting bugs please let me
know exactly what you were doing, along with if you were using the
mouse or keyboard ( for moving/resizing ) and attach the stack trace
too. thanks.
I will be having some extra time the week after next, so I'm hoping to
fix it up so that it can get into trunk before the October 24th
deadline.

So a few things you might want to try/know specific to tiling:
* Most important! Use Alt+Shift+F11 will toggle tiling
* Xinerama support isn't there
* Options can be found in Settings -> Window Behaviour -> Advanced
* Window/Application specific settings are also present
* Each virtual desktop has its own layout
* Shortcuts can be found in the Global shortcuts list under Tiling:
cycle layouts, toggle floating, change focus and move
* Moving across desktops and resizing is supported. The resizing
algorithm is a bit shaky right now, but until I figure out a better
one ( or you guys suggest something ), I'll stick with it.
* Transients and dialogs aren't handled specially for now
* Problems with plasma-workspace might show up when you click on the
desktop etc.
* Right now tiles aren't deleted almost anywhere, so it does leak memory

I'll try to reply to any queries ASAP, but I'm on an exam schedule right now :)

Thanks,
Nikhil