List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: RFC on Kwin-tiling patch
From:       Lucas Murray <lmurray () undefinedfire ! com>
Date:       2009-10-13 7:43:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Nikhil Marathe <nsm.nikhil@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will be having some extra time the week after next, so I'm hoping to
> fix it up so that it can get into trunk before the October 24th
> deadline.

After discussing the current state of KWin trunk and branches with Martin we have \
come to the conclusion that the tiling branch merge will unfortunately have to be \
postponed until KDE 4.5. We would like the tabbing branch merged first and as it \
looks like that branch will be scraping it in near the hard feature freeze date it \
will not leave enough time left to ensure that the tiling features are of release \
quality.

By the sound of things (I haven't actually read any code or even tried the branch \
myself) the branch is on track to be able to be merged as soon as the KDE 4.5 \
development window opens. This is the perfect time to merge as it will give us four \
entire months of unrestricted development time plus two more months of bug fixing to \
work out any usability issues/improvements that show themselves when tiling is used \
by a much larger user base.

I hope this message has not negatively affected your enthusiasm as you've really been \
pumping out the commits the past few months. I'm looking forward to be able to do \
window tiling in KWin and personally cannot wait until KDE 4.5 development begins. =)

--

Lucas Murray :: http://www.undefinedfire.com
GPG Fingerprint: 0B88 499E 3F5B 1405 D952  258A AD90 B4F5 90B6 3534