List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: List of gfx cards and how they work with KWin
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-09-19 7:58:10

On Thursday 18 of September 2008, Lucas Murray wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:29 AM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
> >  I'm afraid those are next to impossible to detect from KWin :-/. There
> > is now also a check for detecting too bad performance, but that one just
> > checks for three consecutive repaints taking more than 1 second, which
> > can catch only really pathetic cases. And I have no idea how to detect
> > just bad performance without occassionally triggering also when there
> > will be only a higher system load.
>
> Keep a running five second average, if the framerate over the last
> five seconds is less than say 15-20fps bring up a dialog suggesting
> the user to disable compositing. This dialog would also have a "ignore
> future performance" that will prevent it from ever displaying again
> for the user. If it's also possible to check CPU usage and whatever
> when the framerate is low maybe prevent the dialog from showing if
> usage is over 75% (No need to poll often, just every five seconds
> while the performance is bad)? It won't detect other bottlenecks but
> it's one less to worry about.

 Sounds good in theory, but try it in practice :-/ . It's not that difficult
to get down to 15-20FPS when a compile is running. On the other hand, if you
want to check also CPU usage, then the CPU high load may be caused by kwin or
X having problems with drawing.

 As for the dialog, right now it suspends compositing and uses KNotify to
inform about it and give hints, but the point is that this generally should
not show up. If it shows up for way too many people, it won't be different
from just asking right away :-/.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer