List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Idea for conflicts with shadow effect
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-07-11 20:03:45

On Friday 11 of July 2008, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Well we have some conflicts between shadow and wobbly windows. And today I
> found also conflicts with cube. I think the problem is in both cases that
> shadow effect does not care about window quads and their transformations.
>
> So my idea is to make shadow effect aware of window quads. So that the
> shadow is more or less painted for each window quad instead of just once
> for each window. I think this should make shadow wobbly as well and for
> quads which are not painted there would not be a remaining shadow.
>
> Does anyone have a better idea or any suggestions?

 I was thinking about adding new quads just for shadows (i.e. like there are
now quads for window contents and for decoration, there would be also for
shadow). It should have the advantage of getting all transformations for
free, although there could be a problem with them not being quite right (e.g.
when cutting of the right half of the window, there would be no shadow to the
right - but I'd hope making sure the ordering of effects is right would avoid
that).

 Either way, I expect there is the problem with drawing shadows for
non-rectangular objects (i.e. bug #157353).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer