List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Google summer of code
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-03-28 13:11:13

On Thursday 27 of March 2008, Alex Dănilă wrote:
> 	Hi,
> Good to hear this is the place to talk about kwin and SoC.
> I am interested in taking the project, and the actual question is about the
> competencies needed for these two tasks.

 Note that they are just ideas. You can submit any proposal you want, even
your own ideas. Also, the techbase page is a wiki and I actually have no idea
who has entered those two items there.

> I know C++, have a good
> understanding of algorithms and I am familiar with Qt4, but I don't know
> how deep understanding of X11 is needed for the multipointer functionality,

 Me neither, but I except not much. Presumably the X11 functionality provides
API to access it and the work necessary would be to adjust KWin internals to
handle the case of multiple pointers.

> and never wrote more than 5 lines of code using OpenGL.

 Some of KWin's effects don't require any OpenGL at all, although such things
would be rather unlikely to be enough as SoC jobs. I expect that e.g.
implementing the cube would require an extensive amount of work on KWin's
code for window transformations (not probably not that much OpenGL knowledge,
but still).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer