List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Grouping and Tabbing of Windows
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-09-06 12:47:10

On 9/6/07, Bernhard Rode <mail@bernhardrode.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:29:41 +0200, "Jos Poortvliet" <jos@mijnkamer.nl>
> wrote:
> > On 9/6/07, Bernhard Rode <mail@bernhardrode.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everyone knows CompizFusion and this clip:
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I
> >> shows some real nice features.
> >
> > Yeah, it's beautiful...
> >
> >> Especially the part about Grouping and Tabbing of Windows seems pretty
> >> useful.
> >
> > It's not very clear on how it works, at least for me. Part of that due
> > to the low quality of the youtube video of course.
>
> As far as I see, you select the windows with a frame and get a tab bar in
> the window title bar on the right. I'm in Hamburg at the moment, but I will
> have some spare time next week at home.
> So I will try to get a better clip recorded or some screenshots.
>

> >> Maybe something like this should come into KWin.
> >
> > Well, I guess it simply needs ppl to write the plugins...
>
> Sorry, I'm not the great coder guy, but I wonder if there is no
> possibility, to write an plugin interface for compizfusion plugins. the
> project has a big community, espacially since they merged. So their will be
> many new plugins in the future.
> I like the plasma idea of allowing superkaramba,... plugins. so why should
> it be impossible.

Afaik, this is impossible due to the (lack of) architecture of
Compizfusion. It just exposes its internals to the plugins, which can
then change stuff. Unless your internals are the same (eg you ARE
compizfusion, or you fully emulate it) you can't be compatible. But
from what I've understood, most work isn't in the plugins, they are
often just a few lines of code (think mostly 20-50).