List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Updates to effects
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2007-06-04 16:47:56

Ühel kenal päeval (pühapäev 03 juuni 2007) kirjutas Philip Falkner:
> Second is a new Fade.  Unashamedly taken from the compiz fade, it can now
> fade between any changes in opacity/saturation/brightness.  That is, it can
> handle fading for other effects.  The question I have is, do we want this?
> It gives us a single place for the user decide whether they want things
> fading in and out, and how quickly.  On the other hand, maybe effects are
> better off with different speeds for different purposes, e.g. should the
> fade in
> PresentWindows be able to be a different speed than the fade in
> DialogParent? I think the centralised way is better, but I'm open to being
> told that's wrong. :)

I read that Mac OS X has something similar, called Core Animation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Animation ), which can fade between any
changes, including e.g. size or position.
Maybe something similar could be implemented in KWin one day, so that effect
could say "I want this window's opacity to be 0.4 in 200 ms" and KWin itself
would take care of animation. This would also solve the speed problem as
effect could choose animation speed itself.
I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement it, but it might be a nice
addition.

Rivo