List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Available extensions list (was Re: XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps)
From:       Philip Falkner <philip.falkner () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-24 19:16:14

On Thursday 23 November 2006 16:53, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I have no idea. Compiz here doesn't work at all with AIGLX (complains
> about not finding GLXFBConfig for the default depth). KWin doesn't work
> either (doesn't paint anything), however glxinfo reports indirect rendering
> is used (despite KWin choosing direct one for some reason ??) and it lists
> TFP in all the three lists. That's X.Org 7.2, so maybe there have been some
> fixes in GLX support or something (Mesa is 6.5.1 just like you).

When I was tracking the upgrade from Kubuntu 6.06 to 6.10, I had a problem
similar to this.  After Xorg 7.1 had installed, with AIGLX enabled by
default, glxinfo would always report direct rendering as off, even though GL
programs continued to work as they had.  Everything seemed ok, so I just
assumed this was AIGLX in action.  I never really tried compiz during this
time, so I don't know if it failed the same way as it is for you.  I can say
that one GL program under wine wasn't working, but I chalked that up to wine.

When 6.10 was released, I did a fresh install (for unrelated reasons), and
suddenly, glxinfo said direct rendering was available, and that one wine GL
program worked.  So I don't know what happened, but somehow in the upgrade
from Xorg 7.0 to 7.1, things got confused.  And, of course, I can't find out
exactly what happened now, since that install's gone. :)

I guess the point is, X and GL seem very delicate.

But, there have been fixes in Xorg 7.2 that may affect us.  In particular, I
found these:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=db6d04d4b87fd9b6409a3ddf0479a88440c2eda1
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/xserver.git;a=commit;h=2fb7b8795a9a36cce61f6449f6ca26ffd1b071f0

If these commits do what I think they do, then kwin and compiz should both
work properly in finding tfp in the GLX extensions string in 7.2 using AIGLX.

>  As I know even less about this than you I'm fine with adding this
> workaround (or whatever it is) into SVN if you think it is a good idea,
> together with a TODO note to check somewhen later.

Assuming I'm right about this working properly in Xorg 7.2, then I'd suggest
leaving the code as-is, and documenting that tfp may not work on all cards in
Xorg 7.1 AIGLX without LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT.

If I'm wrong, then I'd still leave the code for now, since shm does work, and
add that TODO note about checking again later.

--
Philip Falkner