List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Available extensions list (was Re: XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps)
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-11-23 21:53:16

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 03:38, Philip Falkner wrote:
> Hm.  On the one hand, you're right about how it's supposed to work.  But
> here, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap only shows up in the GLX extensions list
> when AIGLX is enabled and indirect rendering is used.  That might lead to a
> way of checking for AIGLX, actually, but there are issues.
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't indirect rendering based on the current context,
> not exactly anyway.  LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 is the magic phrase that puts
> the extension in GLX's extension list, making it show up in glxinfo
> (glxinfo -i isn't enough), and making kwin as it stands in svn happily
> detect and use tfp.  Compiz also behaves this way, requiring
> LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT.
>
> So, either Mesa is being stupid again, or this is intended behaviour.  If
> it's the first, then kwin is fine as-is, and we just need to change Mesa.
> If it's the second, how do we imitate LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT in code?  The
> beryl-style check of server GLX extensions seems to be what they settled
> on; is there a better way?  Or do we need a helper program to run kwin with
> LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT iff AIGLX is being used?

 I have no idea. Compiz here doesn't work at all with AIGLX (complains about
not finding GLXFBConfig for the default depth). KWin doesn't work either
(doesn't paint anything), however glxinfo reports indirect rendering is used
(despite KWin choosing direct one for some reason ??) and it lists TFP in all
the three lists. That's X.Org 7.2, so maybe there have been some fixes in GLX
support or something (Mesa is 6.5.1 just like you).

 As I know even less about this than you I'm fine with adding this workaround
(or whatever it is) into SVN if you think it is a good idea, together with a
TODO note to check somewhen later.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer