List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing status
From:       Eike Hein <kde () eikehein ! com>
Date:       2006-10-04 21:14:13

Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
>>  any news on %subject% ? I wouldn't expect having a very basic OpenGL
>> compositor would be that much work. What is the problem, lack of time, some
>> problem with OpenGL, some problem with KWin, something I could help with?
>
> Wouldn't it a good idea to actually use the beryl composite manager,
> instead of creating another one?

Afaik Beryl is a fork of compiz. Compiz is not only a
composition manager, but also a window manager, and an
immature one at that. It's also a window manager with
a widely different set of capabilities than kwin, so
initially it would be a regression. Writing plugins
for beryl/compiz to implement kwin's abilities in it
would probably be more work than adding composition
management to kwin, and in any case you'd suffer from
the problem of trading in a proven, tested codebase
for a new and immature one.

In addition to the above, the technical quality of
beryl specifically is doubtful. David Reveman, the
principal author of compiz, has recently claimed
that beryl is made up of code that does not meet
the quality standards of compiz[1].

That said, looking at what can be lifted and learned
from compiz/beryl is certainly a good idea, and I bet
Lubos & gang have done and are doing just that.

1 = http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/compiz/2006-September/000487.html

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein@kde.org