List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing status
From:       Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak () arcor ! de>
Date:       2006-10-04 20:27:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

>  any news on %subject% ? I wouldn't expect having a very basic OpenGL
> compositor would be that much work. What is the problem, lack of time, some
> problem with OpenGL, some problem with KWin, something I could help with?

Wouldn't it a good idea to actually use the beryl composite manager,
instead of creating another one? Why divide the community? Beryl is
quite flexible and uses plugins and as far as I know a lot of people
want and maybe even work on a KDE integration of beryl.

Beryl has almost no gnome dependencies. Wouldn't it be better to spend
energy in creating KDE frontends for this and try to connect kwin to
beryl rather than try to create an own composite manager? Beryl is not
part of the gnome project, and they are very cooperative and I'm sure it
would be possible to connect it with KDE as well.

I'd like to see the forces and community concentrated on one project
instead of creating just another one. Is this utopian in this case? Is
it not possible?

Thanks,
Sascha