List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2006-07-17 11:43:20

Ühel kenal päeval (laupäev 15 juuli 2006 12:35 am) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> > BTW, what would I need to be able to work on KWin? I'd assume qt-copy and
> > kdelibs from trunk as well as the kwin_composite branch. What about
> > kdebase? Anything else?
>
>  Qt-copy, kdelibs from either trunk or branches/work/kdelibs4_snapshot
> should generally work both. Kdebase is not really required, you can run
> kwin standalone (and kcontrol right now doesn't work anyway I think).
> Nothing else should be required.

I used qt-copy and kdelibs from trunk. They worked, just that later when
running cmake in kdebase dir, I had to add  -DKDE4_IGNORE_DONTPORT=ON  to
cmake's commandline.

>  You however need to build kwin_composite somehow, with KDE3 it could be
> simply done by deleting all toplevel subdirs and keeping just the kwin one,
> with KDE4 I'm not sure, but probably just using kdebase and doing svn
> switch to the branch in the kwin directory should do, you don't need to
> build the rest of kdebase (and if you alter the CMakefiles you don't even
> need other parts of kdebase).

I non-recursively (with svn's -N flag) checked out kdebase, then
kdebase/workspace and kdebase/workspace/kwin, then  svn switched to kwin
branch. Only thing I had to change was commenting out other directories in
CMakeLists.txt in kdebase and kdebase/workspace

>  The could perhaps be problems with configuring the build and finding
> presence of the required X extensions. I can't check right now if it builds
> properly or not, few days back it was necessary to add "#cmakedefine
> HAVE_XDAMAGE 1" to config.h.cmake . In the worst case you could add needed
> #defines to utils.h and hack the Makefile.

I added  #define HAVE_XDAMAGE  to config.h, after that everything worked well.

So I managed to compile and start kwin (on top of Xgl). It worked, but it
usually froze as soon as I tried to do something with it such as changing
active window. KWin's window menu (the one you get after RMB on window's
titlebar) also didn't work correctly, it opened, but I couldn't click on any
of the menu items. Moving windows worked though and showed the new
effects ;-)

I think the first think that needs to be done for OpenGL support is writing
code to initialize OpenGL. Does anyone have any experience with that or does
anyone know if we can use QGL? If not, maybe we could use compiz's
initialization code, at least for now?

Rivo