List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Thomas =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCbking?= <thomas.luebking () web ! de>
Date:       2006-07-16 17:22:02

Am Samstag, 15. Juli 2006 23:19 schrieb Matias Valdenegro T.:
> Interesting, any idea on how to overcome this problem?
none? (as long as X handles all pixmaps through the CPU, maybe some shared MEM
extension (like the MIT one) could allow to write an X server that avoids
this, ask nVidias/ATI ;)

> And BTW, how the hell does the Pixmap gets converted to a Texture without
> using GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap?
there was (and is) a glcompmgr posted on the XOrg list that afaik doesn't use
it, but i don't know how and this probably won't make things faster ;)

However, i don't ask for a way without calling the extension, but an X server
that internally allready operates on textures and the GL buffer (so on openGL
you paint on the offscreen buffer and use glCopyTexImage to update the
texture)

On such server, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap would just answer the id of the
texture for local use and create a real pixmap for foreign (network, real
protocol) use, where the conversion is the least of your problems.

X is damn slow on pixmaps, due to the CPU involvement (to my suspection, there
may be other problems) - e.g. compare moving a (huge, or use a profiler)
widget with a (huge as well) pixmap as background with one filled with a
plain color (what's accelerated by the server) and than compare with moving a
huge texture in a 3D environment (also accelerated), best using overlay...
or fill a (huge, and best with a lot of clipping ;)  area with a pixmap brush
(or the gradient brush, at least without XRender acceleration)

Thomas
--
Fear... Fear attracts the fearfull.
The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt.