List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       "Matias Valdenegro T." <hunts () igloo ! cl>
Date:       2006-07-14 21:56:57

El Friday, 14 de July de 2006 17:10, Lubos Lunak escribió:
>  That comma wasn't supposed to be there in the first sentence. Simple
> effect should work in all scenes (and note that it's the would-be-nice
> category). About half of kompmgr's features can be expressed as "change
> opacity this way for this window", if it's possible to do simple changes
> just by modifying opacity and geometry then even everybody would be able to
> code their small silly effects plugin. Of course if the effect would be
> mapping the whole desktop to surface of a Bart Simpson-shaped figurine and
> rotate it then there's no way XRender can do that.
>
>  And this is not a must have. Duplicating simple effects is no big deal.

Excellent.

>  And dependency on something like Xgl? Why would Compiz otherwise require
> it, after all. Moreover, in the worst case the XRender scene can be kept
> completely separate, rather limited in functionality, and as such
> relatively simple.

I agree, but my point is with XRender, you can't get decent eyecandy and
speed.

Maybe putting priority of OpenGL over XRender should be acceptable.

>  Effects just paint and nothing more. In Compiz the functionality of the
> core is rather limited and things like e.g. window placement or window
> movement done by user are handled by plugins, which do all this by directly
> using functionality of Compiz core. It's an interesting design in a way,
> but I don't think I want that in KWin. Taking care of KWin bugreport is not
> simple even without various 3rd party plugins messing with internals.

Ok.

BTW Lubos you're the only one working on KWin?

>  Still school in July? Strange country :). Anyway, since first should come
> discussion of some sensible design it looks like end of the month could be
> a good time for starting hacking ;).

Well, College, problems with the University administration has enlarged the
semestre by about three weeks. Shit happens.