List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Compositing manager
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2006-07-14 21:35:59

On Friday 14 July 2006 22:54, Rivo Laks wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval (reede 14 juuli 2006 10:24 pm) kirjutas Thomas Lübking:
> > Am Freitag, 14. Juli 2006 19:23 schrieb Matias Valdenegro T.:
> > > I don't agree that Effects should work in all scenes, as OpenGL
> > > compositing is very different in implementation and capabilities as
> > > XRender compositing (See Shaders and GLSL).
> >
> > well, i do =)
>
> I'd rather agree with Matias here: an effect/plugin/whatever should be able
> to specify whether it supports XRender or OpenGL (or both) and also whether
> it supports current system config (e.g. it might require newer opengl
> version). For simple effects, such as specifying opacity for windows,
> backend (XRender/OpenGL) doesn't matter, since you can just do something
> like window.opacity = myvalue;  but once you get to more advanced stuff
> such as using GLSL, it probably becomes quite difficult to support them
> both. In such case, it might actually be easier to write different
> effects/plugins for XRender and OpenGL.

 That's exactly the idea.

> BTW, what would I need to be able to work on KWin? I'd assume qt-copy and
> kdelibs from trunk as well as the kwin_composite branch. What about
> kdebase? Anything else?

 Qt-copy, kdelibs from either trunk or branches/work/kdelibs4_snapshot should
generally work both. Kdebase is not really required, you can run kwin
standalone (and kcontrol right now doesn't work anyway I think). Nothing else
should be required.

 You however need to build kwin_composite somehow, with KDE3 it could be
simply done by deleting all toplevel subdirs and keeping just the kwin one,
with KDE4 I'm not sure, but probably just using kdebase and doing svn switch
to the branch in the kwin directory should do, you don't need to build the
rest of kdebase (and if you alter the CMakefiles you don't even need other
parts of kdebase).

 The could perhaps be problems with configuring the build and finding presence
of the required X extensions. I can't check right now if it builds properly
or not, few days back it was necessary to add "#cmakedefine HAVE_XDAMAGE 1"
to config.h.cmake . In the worst case you could add needed #defines to
utils.h and hack the Makefile.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer