List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdebase/kwin
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-06-13 15:01:59

On Friday 10 of June 2005 18:32, Frederick Peter Emmott wrote:
> On Friday 10 June 2005 17:14, you wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >  I don't use Xinerama, so I'm far from being an expert, but the patch
> > seems to be wrong to me. The normal behaviour of kwin is that if
> > "xinerama fullscreen" is turned on, fullscreen windows cover only one
> > monitor, otherwise xinerama is ignored for this and therefore fullscreen
> > windows cover all screens. So what you describe above is intended.
> >
> >  What exactly is the problem this patch should solve?
>
> Some applications have two fullscreen modes:
> 1) Full-screen
> 2) Multi-screen fullscreen
>
> Without the patch, full screen works correctly on a single screen (blacking
> the second if xinerama fullscreen is turned off), but multi-screen
> fullscreen is only one one screen, missing out everything that should be on
> the other screens, and not fullscreen, only maximized.

 The patch doesn't seem to be right. First of all it's not right technically,
because xSizeHint.width / height are deprecated (ICCCM 4.1.2.3 doesn't even
name those fields, it just says that the fields are for backwards
compatibility). The code should just use width() / height() .

 Second, even the logic doesn't seem to be right. The logic of setting the
fullscreen state with _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN is that the app simply sets
the flag, the WM makes the window fullscreen, including adjusting its
geometry, when the app wants to go back, it resets the flag, the WM restores
the original geometry. So the geometry before the switch can be arbitrary,
which would lead to some apps being sometimes fullscreened only to one
screen, sometimes to all of them.

 Do those apps really have a checkbox or whatever saying
"multiscreen/singlescreen fullscreen" , or is it just that some apps always
want multiscreen and others want singlescreen?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer