List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdebase/kwin
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-06-10 16:14:17

On Friday 10 of June 2005 17:34, Fred Emmott wrote:
> On Friday 10 June 2005 16:01, you wrote:
> [snip]
>
> >  What is this, and why? "// XINERAMA" scores quite high in the useless
> > comments ranking, although still far from being the winner.
>
> Sorry, please see http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=111826924830732&w=2

 I must have overlooked that one.

> 1) Xinerama:
> Problem: Some Xinerama applications which use full screen spread between the
> two monitors do not work correctly; normal full screen mode works fine in
> one screen, whereas xinerama full screen (on my setup and reproduced by
> "brockers" in #kde-devel) only shows the left half of the screen, and window
> decorations and kicker remain. Solution: There are actually two problems.
> Firstly is a workaround in xine-ui to make it work with older versions of
> kwin, which stops it working in newer KDE versions. Secondly, if xinerama
> full screen is selected in kwin settings, the largest a full-screen window
> can be is one screen, whereas if it is not, normal full screen windows cause
> the second screen to go black. I will contact the xine developers shortly
> with the patch.

 I don't use Xinerama, so I'm far from being an expert, but the patch seems to
be wrong to me. The normal behaviour of kwin is that if "xinerama fullscreen"
is turned on, fullscreen windows cover only one monitor, otherwise xinerama
is ignored for this and therefore fullscreen windows cover all screens. So
what you describe above is intended.

 What exactly is the problem this patch should solve?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer