List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] KWin brekage: client_popup removal
From:       Karol Szwed <gallium () physos ! info>
Date:       2002-09-03 12:36:41

On Tuesday 03 September 2002 10:07 pm, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
[snip]

>I believe the right way to fix this is to revert the popup_client patch, fix
>the apps/situations where popup_client mechanism doesn't satisfy, and
>_finally_ write an explanatory note about this design choice.

There's also the small issue of not being able to cleanly implement
double-click to close on menu buttons anymore with this patch afaik.

>Hey! What about the following? Put a moratory on kwin code until after
> KDE-3.1 (with extensions as needed) and thus getting some time to write
> down a DESIGN paper note. I know about a (very few) of KWin's internals.
> Matthias knows more. Let's put all this knowledge in written. And finally
> have a solid base for discussion before major architectural changes.

It sounds like a very good idea - the only problem is that it can get quite
messy documenting all the little quirks that are worked around, and the
document probably won't be that non-technical either. How in-depth should
this paper be? A broad overview probably won't help anyone much.

Perhaps we should look at this from a different perspective:
1. Document kwin's internals with more liberal comments. (One could argue that
    the code is mostly self-documenting though)
2. Anything that's confusing/we don't understand should be brought up and
   discussed on this list, and after coming to an agreement, becomes
   documented in the code or otherwise.
3. Have a document outlining all workarounds and reasoning (eg java
    workaround).

>(This will even eventually drive us towards a Kwin v.3, with a goal in code
>file modularity and clean-up).

It would be nice if this document contaned some planned additions /
modifications so we know where kwin should head in future. First thing I
would do for v.3 is a full NetWM audit in kwin imho.

Cheers,
Karol