List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] NET::Menu
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-07-03 9:24:47

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 20:53, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 July 2002 16:47, Karol Szwed wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 June 2002 6:49 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > [snip]
>
> [snip]
>
> > > Also, I added a possibility for kwin clients to get the window type as
> > > the third argument of allocate() instead of just plain 'int tool'
> > > (which is IMHO short-sighted). Client now can have old style "Client
> > > *allocate(Workspace *ws, WId w, int tool)" or "Client
> > > *allocate2(Workspace *ws, WId w, NET::WindowType type)", which will be
> > > preffered.
> >
> > I'd prefer if we didn't use the "allocate2" name in the plugin interface,
> > since once 3rd party clients start using it, we'll be stuck with it and
> > its tacky.
>
>  Well, I'm a member of the can't-come-with-a-good-name club. Suggestions
> for a better name are welcome :).

in plugin manager:

  allocateClient -> createClient()

in the plugin

   allocate -> create

or "instantiate". We deprecate "allocate" and have another shining example how
dangerous "bool" values are and that we should never use them in the API
(unless setter functions of boolean properties). Qt unfortunately is a bad
example with this.

Matthias