List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Re: ROMizing
From:       meinterest () mobileandembedded ! org
Date:       2007-07-27 4:21:43

Alex,

The way I understand your situation is that you want to create a standalone system \
that boots Linux, starts the Java VM execution, and automatically runs a \
preconfigured Java application. I didn't follow the bouny castle thread but \
essentially what you need is:

- The Java VM stack with all necessary system classes preverified in the \
bootclasspath, possibly ROMized. This configuration is automatically built with the \
normal phoneME build process so you don't need to do anything else here

- The application, packaged in a jar file including all libraries you need (such as \
bouncy castle) and preverified

- Tell the phoneME stack to execute your application on start-up and point it to the \
main class as well as the jar file

All of the above is easy to do and doesn't require any "tricks".

You ask about the ROMizer. You can find a description here:

http://java.sun.com/javame/reference/docs/cldc-hi-2.0-web/doc/architecture/html/Romizer.html

The ROMizer is a tool that takes a list of class files, loads the classes and \
resolves them, and then takes a snapshot of the layout of all resulting data \
structures in memory and builds a set of C files that represent that state. This is \
now linked into the Java VM. The result is that all ROMized classes are immediately \
available for execution when the VM starts up thus reducing start-up time \
considerably.

It is an alternate means loading and resolving classes if these classes are known at \
the time the Java VM stack is built. But it is only an optimization and therefore I \
don't think is required for your situation.

Let me know if this makes sense.

-- Terrence
[Message sent by forum member 'terrencebarr' (terrencebarr)]