List:       kvm-interest
Subject:    Re: Comment on JSR 248 and (lack of) JSR 172 JAX-RPC
From:       Stefan Haustein <haustein () KIMO ! CS ! UNI-DORTMUND ! DE>
Date:       2005-04-24 20:56:10

Mark Young wrote:

> And I already know game developers don't use the platform APIs as it is ;-)

That is not limited to game developers (e.g. S60 exit softkey issue..)

I think APIs that provide functionality that cannot be implemented in
pure Java should have a clear priority.

Just consider the Game API experience... If it is slower than a
reasonable pure Java implementation, you cannot expect anyone to use it.

Make sure the basic stuff work, provide a solid, reliable foundation
developers can build on, and you will get wonderful Java Applications.

I have seen some slides on the net that blame missing SOAP support for
the lack of exiting online applications. That is simply not true. Real
problems are:

- No mandatory support for TCP/IP and UDP
- Extremely long latency times
- GPRS configuration nightmares (I have seen devices branded with all
kinds of sh*t but no reasonable predefined GPRS configuration)
- "Strange" HTTP implementations (end of stream detection issues,
delivering headers with the data stream, buffering the data internally
until everything has arrived....)

Of course it is easier to add yet another cheap JSR label on the box
than fixing the sometimes complex Java/C interaction.

However, if operators continue tolerating non-streaming GPRS support,
they must not wonder why there are no exiting online/realtime games.

JSR 172 may help business applications, but for serious business
applications (where JSR 172 pays off) the extra 35 kb will not make a
big difference in the Jar file size.

Best regards,
Stefan Haustein