List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: GSoC Project: Collaborative editing
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2008-05-23 5:45:58

Am Freitag, 23. Mai 2008 07:26:58 schrieb Greg Haynes:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a KTextEditor plugin this summer for the Summer of Code and
> thought I would introduce myself and my project.  I am a freshman CS
> student in Portland, Oregon.  Until recently most of my programming
> experience lied in linux C server applications, but lately I have become
> very interested in developing Qt applications.  My project is a great
> bridge between the two, and hopefully a great entry point for myself into
> the KDE community.
>
> The plugin I am developing will provide collaborative editing support, and
> allow users to share and modify remote document(s) without having to leave
> their editor.  The infinote library will be used to handle all the grunt
> work, and my main goal will be to connect the TextBuffer interface the
> library provides with KTextEditor, as well as developing the necessary
> control dialogs for the plugin.
>
> I hope to implement a fairly rich set of features into this plugin, and any
> advice on what I should be considering, possible blocks, or anything
> helpful would be greatly appreciated.  Here are some of the non-standard
> features I plan on implementing:
>
> * Sharing of document trees
> * Connecting to remote shares via config dialog
> * Browsing remote shares via config dialog
> * Pulling undo operations from the library
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice, and happy coding!
I am not sure, if a plugin allows that tight integration, perhaps you must
consider writing the extension kate part internally, as only there you will
have enough access to the internals. Otherwise: if you can come up with the
needed interfaces, perhaps the plugin architecture can be enhanced.

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann@AbsInt.com