List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    GSoC Project: Collaborative editing
From:       Greg Haynes <greg () greghaynes ! net>
Date:       2008-05-23 5:26:58

Hello,

I am developing a KTextEditor plugin this summer for the Summer of Code and
thought I would introduce myself and my project.  I am a freshman CS student
in Portland, Oregon.  Until recently most of my programming experience
lied in linux C server applications, but lately I have become very
interested in developing Qt applications.  My project is a great bridge
between the two, and hopefully a great entry point for myself into the KDE
community.

The plugin I am developing will provide collaborative editing support, and
allow users to share and modify remote document(s) without having to leave
their editor.  The infinote library will be used to handle all the grunt work,
and my main goal will be to connect the TextBuffer interface the library
provides with KTextEditor, as well as developing the necessary control dialogs
for the plugin.

I hope to implement a fairly rich set of features into this plugin, and any
advice on what I should be considering, possible blocks, or anything helpful
would be greatly appreciated.  Here are some of the non-standard features I
plan on implementing:

* Sharing of document trees
* Connecting to remote shares via config dialog
* Browsing remote shares via config dialog
* Pulling undo operations from the library

Thanks in advance for any advice, and happy coding!
--
Gregory Haynes