List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] new Interface to provide custom label/line
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-01-12 11:26:05

On 12.01.08 13:48:47, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 03:48:12 am Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > for KDevelop4 I'd like to have support for showing a custom label for
> > each line of a text file. I don't yet have any specific idea how to
> > implement this as I don't have much (if any) experience how you guys
> > design the KTE interfaces.
>
> Moving to ktexteditor-devel, where the api stuff should be discussed...

Oh, wasn't aware that it exists. Thanks.

> > Why feature-wishes are: Setting a text which is shown on a new border
> > similar to the linenumbers, changing the background for the text and
> > providing tooltip information for that text. The text can be set for
> > each line in the file.
>
> What do you plan to do with this interface?

Showing the authors userid directly on the border.

> What should happen when the text is too long?

Add an elipsis. I think using a small (maybe configurable) fixed font
and limiting this to maybe 10 or 12 chars should be quite ok.

>  How wide should the border column be?

See above, 10 to 12 chars maybe. Its really intended just for very
little information directly shown, most important for VCS is the
username and also the coloring to see which parts of a file where
changed together. Anything else would be in a tooltip when hovering over
the border...

Andreas

--
Do what comes naturally.  Seethe and fume and throw a tantrum.