List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: Automatic syntax colouring in Kate
From:       Dominik Haumann <dhdev () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-11-30 17:57:34

> > From: Dominik Haumann [mailto:dhdev@gmx.de]
> >
> > On Tuesday 29 November 2005 12:21, Com MN PG P E B Consultant 3 wrote:
> > > I like the syntax colouring in Kate. It would be, however,
> >
> > convenient,
> >
> > > if
> > > Kate could recognize by itself, how to choose syntax
> >
> > highlighting, when
> >
> > > opening a file.
> > > I'm using Kate 2.1 on RedHat 3.1.3.
> >
> > http://www.kate-editor.org/index.php/Modelines
> > In your case something like: kate: hl Bash;
>
> Thank you. I tried this (the first line of the file now reads:
>
>    # kate: hl Bash;
>
> ), but when I open the file, there is still no syntax hightlighting
> switched on.
This is correct and works here, see below.

> Could it be an error in the configuration? When I go to "Configure
> Kate", and klick
> on Application/Plugins, I do see "Kate Modline Plugin", and it has an X
> in front, which
> means that it is selected. But if I go to the configuration section
> Editor/Plugins,
> I do not see a Modeline Plugin here. Is this the way it is intended to
> be?
The Modeline plugin has nothing to do with the integrated kate modelines.
(afaik it added vim compatibility (?))

In r226637 on 2003-05-19 Anders initially added a bunch of document
variables, the same day when KDE 3.1.2 was released, so this features are
only available in KDE >= 3.2.
So you would have to update your KDE installation - best to KDE 3.5 :)

Anders, is this correct?

> > PS: Usually such questions go to kwrite-devel@kde.org :)
>
> May I ask you why? On the web page which described the KDE mailinglist,
> it
> said that ktexteditor-devel is concerned with text editors such as Kate.
Already answered by Anders.

--
Dominik