List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: STATUS: My Interfaces changes planed for KDE 4.0
From:       Hamish Rodda <rodda () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-09 11:19:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 12:57 am, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> k, more stuff done
> jowenn is working on enhance the selection interface part of view,
> are there any other requests?
>
> any ideas for better:
>   - highlighting interface? the current sucks, I must know, invented it ;)
this is syntax highlighting I take it

>   - code completion interface? kdeveloper's wanted additions for richtext
I'd like to see this use the arbitrary highlighting interface which I'm still
working on.  Currently in the middle of bidi porting, but it's next.

> any ideas for new interfaces? are some still useless?
I think we need a custom widget below lines interface.  So far, I know of two
apps, kcachegrind and kdbg, which use their own text widget so they can
annotate important information line-by-line.  This would show up the custom
widget below each line, and be toggleable with a shortcut within katepart.

Also, an information overlay interface would be nice, eg. so you can have
better short documentation popups when over a function, and again the
appropriate shortcut keys.

I have a feeling that the cursor interface will have to be tweaked (public
interface class, private implementation class) - i don't know if i can get
the best smart cursor interface happening as is.  But we'll see... plenty of
time to fiddle.

Cheers,
Hamish.