List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: question about EditInterface
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-05-14 1:45:45

> > You are assuming that Kate represents the document as one big string
> > internally, I didn't check but I would be surprised if this is the case.

I also did not look into the code but your are right. Funny thing is that I
did create an editor in Cobol ages ago and I also used lines and not a
string. I should have known this :-(

> > Personally I can live with have to store two integers instead of one,
> > although one could encapsulated the two integers into one cursor class. A
> > bit overkill, but nice.
>
> and the bigger advantage: kate supports block selection, and this can't be
> done with just a start + length

Yes and I am not saying that this should be changed. I just wanted to add a
conversion. But after reading your replies I am not sure if this makes any
sense at all.

> and no, no real editor implements the text storage as one string, even
> emacs uses buffer with gap, and vim,kate,yzis and others use lines and
> blocks ;)

Sorry for the noise.

Jens