List:       ktexteditor-devel
Subject:    Re: question about EditInterface
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2005-05-13 21:09:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 13 May 2005 20:08, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> On Friday 13 May 2005 07:20 pm, Jens Herden wrote:
> > I could not find functions to convert from one representation into the
> > other. So I would like to have converter for the two representations.
> > This can not be very hard because Kate must do this already, it is just
> > not public available.
>
> You are assuming that Kate represents the document as one big string
> internally, I didn't check but I would be surprised if this is the case.
> Personally I can live with have to store two integers instead of one,
> although one could encapsulated the two integers into one cursor class. A
> bit overkill, but nice.
and the bigger advantage: kate supports block selection, and this can't be
done with just a start + length
and no, no real editor implements the text storage as one string, even emacs
uses buffer with gap, and vim,kate,yzis and others use lines and blocks ;)

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team