List:       kstars-devel
Subject:    Re: Problems with KStars 3.5.7 on macOS
From:       Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-03-06 0:56:49

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 4:45 PM Bill Tschumy <bill@otherwise.com> wrote:

> Rob,
>
> Thanks for responding.  I hated being critical because I'm sure many
> people have worked really hard on this.  But it just seems like many things
> aren't working as I'd expect.  The extra downloads are one thing.  I'm also
> a bit surprised by the identification of stars.  I will hover over a star
> and I get "star: 4.8m".  I have to bring up the Info pane to see what star
> it is.  Now maybe I can understand this with stars from the USNO catalog
> that just have a long designation.  But these are Hipparcos and HD stars.
> Why aren't they named in the hover display and in the status bar (which
> just says "star").

This is a good point. We could definitely display HD info on stars upon
hovering. I think it's just something that did not occur to anyone. I don't
know how / where we have HIP numbers. We probably only have HIP
designations for stars from Tycho 2. Henry Draper is supported, but how we
handle Henry-Draper numbers is complicated by performance constraints.

> Also not sure how you are supposed to select things like open clusters to
> get more information.  Now sometimes I don't even get the dotted ring
> around the cluster and I think KStars has forgotten that I've download the
> NGC info.  Even if there is the dotted ring, clicking in it doesn't seem to
> select the cluster.  How do I bring up info on this?

Right click > Details should be what you're looking for. Also, please use
the Steinicke NGC/IC catalog. OpenNGC is not good as yet by any stretch of
imagination. It's only that Dr. Steinicke wishes that his catalog be used
for non-commercial uses only, which is incompatible with KStars' license.
This is why we ship OpenNGC with KStars and supply Steinicke NGC as an
add-on.

I'm just wondering if something is really broken on my installation
> (although I've installed on two machines with the same result).

Generally, we have fewer users and testing on MacOS. The primary clientele
is astrophotographers using Ekos on Linux. I'm one of the few serious
visual observers who exclusively uses KStars (and on Linux). For example,
the help stuff works fine on Linux for me. KNewStuff (the UI to download
new catalogs) is flaky on Linux. I don't know yet if the inline thumbnails
work, because I've the HiPS overlay turned on.

> Just so you know, I'm one of the primary authors of SkySafari so much of
> my expectations are the result of that and other planetarium programs I've
> used.

Thanks for a wonderful product, SkySafari is incredible. KStars tends to be
aimed at a different user-base and clientele. It's not surprising that
basic features are not user friendly, because most of our users either live
inside of Ekos or inside of the Observation Planner, and the basic stuff
and eye-candy features don't get enough testing and love. I think this is a
problem we must address as a team. Also we've accumulated about 3 decades
of crufty code. It's only recently that Jasem has taken on a very strong
lead in trying to get test-cases and documentation written for a lot of the
features. At least now, we're reasonably confident that our core
calculations are valid.