List:       kstars-devel
Subject:    Re: Problems with KStars 3.5.7 on macOS
From:       Robert Lancaster <rlancaste () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-03-05 23:07:35

Hi Bill,

I can't say I am a big fan of the "Download New Stuff" or "Get New Stuff" system.  This isn't actually a \
part of KStars, it is a KDE package that KStars and other KDE apps use.  It isn't a problem that is just \
on MacOS, it is an overall problem with that system in my opinion.  But KStars developers don't have \
control over that code.  I don't like the interface myself.

 As for the help button, I don't know much about that one, I haven't used it before.  I usually spend my \
time working on Plate Solving algorithms and making the astrophotography parts of the program better.  \
But I also was the one who first ported it to work on a Mac and I maintain the Mac version.  But even \
though I don't know about this feature, I will definitely look into it for you, that could mean something \
is missing in the  Mac bundle or there might be a bug.  Let me see.

I wouldn't say Kstars is flaky really, it is highly sophisticated fully automated astrophotography suite, \
that has allowed me and lots of other people to have many successful nights of imaging under the stars.   \
But sometimes there are bugs and we need people to test and find the bugs so that we can work on making \
it better.  We are all volunteer developers who contribute so that everyone can get a free and great \
program for taking astrophotos.  So please let us know and we can look into issues like this.  We \
especially need more people to test the MacOS versions.

Thanks,

Rob

> On Mar 5, 2022, at 5:25 PM, Bill Tschumy <bill@otherwise.com> wrote:
>
> I seem to be having numerous problems with KStars 3.5.7 on Mac.  I've tried it on the latest macOS \
> (12.2.1) as well as one two years old (10.15.7).
> I've tried downloading the "Extra Data", both from the Startup Wizard and from the Data menu item.  I \
> will install something and then later, when I go back it says it is uninstalled.  Some of the larger \
> downloads will say "Installing…" but then al of the sudden say "Install Again".  Often if I install \
> again it will indicate it is installed.
> I have downloaded the USNO stars and initially is said it was installed.  However, if I go back now it \
> says for me to install them.  Yet if I zoom in, I do see 14th mag stars so it really is installed.
> I have been trying to get the inline thumbnails to install, but they never show up in the chart.  I did \
> see them at one point while playing around,  but now they are gone.
> Clicking the Help button in the Configure window (shown by choosing Preferences…) causes the app to \
> hang.
> Things just seem really flakey.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Tschumy
> Otherwise -- Longmont, CO
> www.otherwise.com

["smime.p7s" (smime.p7s)]

0	*H
 010
	`He0	*H
 a0]0E 0
	*H
0L10URobert Lancaster10	UUS1"0 	*H
	rlancaste@gmail.com0
210914034436Z
220914034436Z0L10URobert Lancaster10	UUS1"0 	*H
	rlancaste@gmail.com0"0
	*H
0
5@&
%
K-ߙ8k@ j%62뉌KЍGsC dot"sAg<GCNI{5 \
S__^)#+$Rb\zHXǹ-$zz&br۔%muGK+T`+<TJaH~z9F '; \
a-vPAK5r*iO'ut9 ӧZbgΣD]eJ0H0U 0U%0 \
+0U0rlancaste@gmail.com0 	*H
\~g~Nc=0+L@@EMh֎S=)LpY>Ģj˥;YP	hf4D;={#83`so4\BCk֐wCJ1&V&uil0j8Kzš6'5^PsC'Xs
 {![_''9
p)\C	~0VRTҼ(m
f ? #ѽ@I*hb3.sWBb1 100Q0L10URobert Lancaster10	UUS1"0 \
	*H 	rlancaste@gmail.com0
	`He /0	*H
	1	*H
0	*H
	1
220305230735Z0/	*H
	1" :\TMt!4:H2|]u
̩^S0`	+71S0Q0L10URobert Lancaster10	UUS1"0 	*H
	rlancaste@gmail.com0b*H
	1S Q0L10URobert Lancaster10	UUS1"0 	*H
	rlancaste@gmail.com0
	*H
&[0+7JЀk6k.{	۾L5'czY:J6 \
գpF┴b=vtUM.>ܳw Y _덝p"3rZG`b|?BM=53чI]#$2ȸ? \
K6zVɻ!^ZY> ;ח&O;	nhdfd} L9Lܶťz{!MCx@