List:       kstars-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kstars-devel] Testing CFITSIO
From:       Jason Harris <jharris () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2007-10-22 13:08:35

Hello,

Thanks for helping to improve KStars.  To test cfitsio features, you just need
to get an image file in FITS format, and use the open command (Ctrl+O or
File|Open FITS...) to load it into the image viewer.  Then you can view and
edit the image, look at its header information (a list of metadata stored in
the FITS file), and save it to disk again.

I've placed an example FITS image of M 51 here:
http://www.30doradus.org/kstars/m51_dss.fits.gz

This is from the Digitized Sky Survey, so it's from a photographic plate taken
in the early 20th century...it's amazing that this remains the only all-sky
optical imagery available today...

regards,
Jason