List:       kplato
Subject:    Re: Are interoperability issues bugs?
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2009-07-14 12:49:02

On Tuesday 14 July 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 July 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> If ODF documents created in Koffice display differently in Open
> >> Office, or vice versa, is that considered a bug?
> >
> > There are places, especially to do with font rendering, when displaying
> > something different isn't necessarily a bug: pixel perfect
> > interoperability is really impossible. But in all other cases, yes, it's
> > a bug.
>
> Thank you, Boudewijn. Considering your words, would it be acceptable
> for me to open documents in the current 2.0 release and file bugs on
> reproducible display issues, except font rendering?

Yes, definitely, if you can attach the test documents.

> Then why is it called 2.0? I thought that x.0 means "ready for end users".

Well, it also means "all source compatibility with the previous platform has
been broken, but it's ready to develop new applications on again". For us, it
was the clear watershed between "we can do anything to this code, we don't
care about anyone who uses the code except for us" and "if you develop a new
plugin, we're committed to supporting you from now on". We were pretty careful
in making that clear in the release announcement.