List:       kplato
Subject:    KOffice Problems
From:       Graham Todd <grahamtodd2 () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-17 17:54:31

I've got a Ubuntu 9.04 ("Jaunty") installation which I have upgraded to
add the Kubuntu 9.04 desktop.

When trying to install koffice-kde4 1.9.9, it kicked out
kpresenter-kde4, though I didn't notice the error message.  I noticed on
the KOffice webpage that 1.9.9 was an RC release (release candidate),
and that the "official" release was KOffice 1.6.x

I tried to install KOffice 1.6.x, and it tried to delete the whole of
the KDE install.  By trying each item listed in Synaptic under Koffice,
I traced the problem to kformula which gave an error message "Broken
pipe".  I gather this message means two unrelated processes that are
communicating with each other have one of the process stop, but as I am
simply installing an application, how can this process be running and
have to stop?

Does it mean that both versions of KOffice (the kde3 and kde4 versions)
are broken in Ubuntu/Kubuntu?  Or just that I need a clean install?

Thanks for any help you can give.

--

Graham Todd