List:       kplato
Subject:    [kplato] Re: OASIS Format for KPlato and Project Management in
From:       Raphael Langerhorst <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-10-27 12:27:42

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 14:13, zander@kde.org wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:05:26PM +0200, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > another thought (since it's so on-topic for the rest of KOffice).
> > Is there any intention to create an OASIS specification for
> > project management apps?
>
> Good idea; but nobody actually started this.
> It certainly is possible.

OK, is there a time frame for this?

> > Or is such kind of application out of scope of
> > standard office application (then, why is KPlato part of
> > KOffice...)?
>
> Its in scope, and kplato is part of koffice since project
> management creates reports which are complementairy to
> kword/kspread. And kplato can use documents and formulas (kexi) in
> its task details screens. Lots of potential which can be used; but
> nobody is actually doing it just yet.

ACK, some of this stuff already popped up in my mind during the last
hours..., that's why I think KPlato is definitely worth being
developed.

> > Then maybe TaskJuggler (and Mr. Project??) could also switch to a
> > standard OASIS format... (probably I'm just day-dreaming, but
> > still, it would be possible)
>
> Sure; there is nothing stopping you but time :)

time... exactly...

anyway, I read a bit more about TaskJuggler and I think it could be
perfectly used for importing/exporting. AFAICS TaskJuggler is meant
to create project plans out of text input, etc. and can export stuff
to HTML and XML, which are both things (??) KPlato is still lacking
and thus these two applications are not THAT different than I thought
in the beginning and they might be complementary in many areas, which
is useful ;)   (also, we could sum up developer time....)

Raphael

--
G System, The Evolving Universe - http://www.g-system.at