List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: BIC in libkopete in 4.6.90
From:       Michael Zanetti <mzanetti () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-07-14 6:28:35

On Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:50:08 Lamarque Vieira Souza wrote:
> Em Thursday 07 July 2011, Raphael Kubo da Costa escreveu:
> > Michal Zajac <michal.zajac@gmail.com> writes:
> > > Yes, it is exactly as Raphael said, after the build is finished
> > > pkgkde-symbolshelper checks for new or removed symbols and this one
> > > popped out. If the symbol is for ex. not public we just remove it
> > > without doing anything but from what I saw and confirmed with thiago
> > > this one is public and can't be removed without any binary
> > > compatibility problems.
> >
> > I remember we discussed not keeping BC in libkopete a few months ago,
> > but no official decision was made.
> >
> > We need to either add that symbol back or officially decide we will not
> > keep BC and raise the soversion of libkopete.
> >
> > For now I think we could just add the symbol back and deprecate
> > it. Lamarque, what do you think?
>
> 	I think we should make libkopete private. Kopete is dying, almost nobody
> cares about it anymore, only me is adding new features to it and in the
> transition to KDE 5 I really doubt anyone will step up to port it to Qt 5.
> There is no reason to incentivize anyone to use libkopete, so there is no
> reason for it to be public. I will restore the symbol and declare it
> deprecated. I am really thinking in abandon Kopete. Too much trouble for
> almost nothing.

Following the telepathy mailing lists I know that telepathy devs have no
intentions to extend the framework to support plugins other than protocols.
This makes for example end-to-end encryption (like OTR and GPG plugins)
impossible to be added to the framework but rather to each application again.
Having such plugins in the application layer again somehow kills the scope of
such a framework as telepathy.

Until this situation changes I know that A LOT of people would cry really loud
if kopete would vanish away. Keep that in mind before dropping it ;)