List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] SOC : Kopete Chat Window library
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Micha=EBl_Larouche?=" <michael.larouche () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-23 23:58:40

Kevin Krammer a écrit :
>>> Multiplayer games, local chat and plasmoids.
>>> Example could be a plasmoid that would talk to kopete and make use of
>>> that library. Other Telepathy/Decibel/Instant Messengers would also be
>>> able to make use of it.
>> I don't understand how your library differ from telephaty/decibel/tapioca ?
>> Since from what I understood what you propose should be what is offered by
>> those projects as well.
>
> The way I understand it is that this is mainly about the GUI portion.
>
> A bit like having the same file dialog with all its different capabilities on
> top of KIO with its range of capabilities.
>
> Staying in that metaphor I take it that currently all applications use their
> own file dialog, leading to code and maintenance duplication, different
> behavior and so on.
>
> So you could rather see it as a project to provide a UI extension library
> capable of addressing all the different needs for (near) real time text
> communication.
>
> I think the range of interested parties is spans from instant messaging
> clients over games to having common GUI components complementing the protocol
> framework parts of Decibel.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I was going to tell the same thing :)

First of all, I will be the mentor of Pierre-Alexandre. I live in the
same city as him. I suggested this project to him. My source of
inspiration was a blog from Josef Spillner:

http://www.kuarepoti-dju.net/blog/2009-02-24-chatwidgets/

The goal is to have a chat window component sharable by all applications
that need one. I know that KMess reimplemented support for themes on its
own chat window.

This proposal has nothing to do with communication. This part can be
still handled by Telepathy/Decibel.

The application could need to supply a model of its contacts to be
displayed by the future chat window component.
(This is just an example)