List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Core/GUI Split in libkopete
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-19 11:03:41

On Sunday 18 March 2007, Matt Rogers said:
> As I've been going through and working on the model/view stuff for the
> contactlist, I've come across two ways to do it.
>
> 1. Make Kopete::ContactListElement a QStandardItem so that Group,
> Metacontact, and Contact are all model items.
>
> 2. Leave as-is and make our current listview items be model items and wrap
> the corresponding class.
>
> The answer to the question of "Which way should we do it?" lies solely upon
> the outcome of "How important is the core/gui split to us really?"
>
> So, how important is the core/gui split to us really?

2. please.

It's important to me, to be able to exploit all the possibilities of Decibel.
I'm preparing a report on what we got up to this weekend, but a quick summary
of what we'd like to do, all of which implies strong core/GUI separation:

*) Metacontact mapping lives in Akonadi
*) Protocols are separate processes
*) UIs are separate processes
*) Chat windows are KParts that can run in-process with the contactlist GUI or
be loaded into other apps (eg in response to an incoming chat)
*) Contact handling UI will be in kdelibs as part of Khalkhi, eg Interview
delegate classes
This implies
*) Much of libkopete's logic will go into the Decibel daemon
*) UI interaction has to be abstracted out of the protocols
*) Using our existing contact UI in designing Khalkhi UI elements, then
reimplementing our UI using those

So to rephrase the question again in more loaded terms:

Do we want Kopete to remain a contactlist+chatwindows traditional chat
application or do we want it to be reinvented as the heart, muscles and skin
of a new, IM integrated desktop?

Will