List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Usability issues in Chat History dialog
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-28 22:41:23

I'm going to reply to only part of your mail, since I don't have time to go
over all of it now. I'll try to follow-up on the rest later, but feel free to
beat me if I forget :)

On Wednesday 28 February 2007, Johannes Jowereit wrote:
> > Speaking of which, do you think you'll be able to work on Kopete
> > for KDE 4 as well? We could use more developers there...
>
> Yes, this would be possible, as it's maybe a good entry point for KDE
> programming. Is there already a KDE4 version of Kopete?

Yes. I myself am not working on it yet, most of the others are. If you
checkout trunk from SVN you get the KDE 4 version (you need a KDE 4 kdelibs
too and keep it up-to-date, follow the instructions on kde.org)

To get the current 3.5.x code, checkout branches/KDE/3.5 instead from SVN.

> BTW, I have subscribed kopete-devel now, so you don't have to CC me
> any more.

Welcome :)

You probably want to filter bugzilla mails (containing the X-Bugzilla header)
in a folder separate from the normal mailing list traffic btw.

> It has been completely removed; as I explained in my mock-up, it is
> not needed because you can filter for the contacts with the combo box
> and sort by date by clicking on the corresponding list view column.

I need more time to think and comment on this.

> > [The message header] is a new feature and probably a no-go for KDE
> > 3.5, especially given that it introduces new strings.
> >
> > For KDE 4 it's a good idea.
>
> OK, then I'll continue developing on it, since it is not really mature
> yet.

It makes no sense if we go the 'use chatwindow code' route though...

> >   Don't do that. Using arg() [...]
>
> OK, thanks. BTW, I think I found that way of calling QString.arg()
> somewhere else in KDE, so it isn't fixed everywhere :-)

Right. In many places it's not a bug btw, it is only a bug if %1 or %2 will be
replaced by strings that can potentially contain the literal %1 or %2
themselves too. Otherwise it's just slower (but probably not noticeable in
most places.)

> > * Should we use the chatwindow style here too, to make it look
> > consistent?
>
> This sounds like a good idea,especially when sharing the chatwindow's
> code with the one of the history plugin. On the other hand, some
> chatwindow styles take much space which might be unfit for having a
> quick overview of what you have written. So maybe a "text mode" style
> should be provided for the history plugin, which would look much like
> the one used now.

Having a separate style for history might be a good idea, but at least I would
like to see the code itself shared. Now we have two places where basically
the same stuff is done, and there are inconsistencies in some of it, also
e.g. emoticon handling and the like.

> No, thanks for the tip. I guess I'll have to get familiar to SVN
> anyway if I want to start with KDE programming ...

It's a plus, also the tools from kdesdk/scripts like svnrevertlast are very
nice. To get started you only need to know 'svn up' (update working
copy), 'svn diff' (guess...) and 'svn commit'. You almost certainly want to
learn 'svn status', 'svn log' and 'svn annotate' next.

> > QSizePolicy::Fixed? But I'm not sure if hardcoding is a good idea.
> > A splitter might be better.
>
> Yes, I wanted to keep the splitter, but when resizing the window, only
> the message viewer should resize (as it is done now, but I changed
> the layouts and it doesn't work any more). But I guess a little more
> playing around with QSizePolicy should help.

I need more time to comment on this.

> > The cryptical string is the ID from the address book. But within
> > Kopete you don't need to make this indirection. I think the chat
> > window already does this. Take a look at that. But this really
> > screams for sharing the code between history and chat window.
>
> Yes, indeed - maybe for KDE4 it would be possible to put the chat
> window code into a separate class.

See above :)

> > It's *badly* missing. Kopete makes a mess of history of
> > multi-person chats.
> >
> > I have some chat logs with 3-person chats, but when viewing them in
> > History I don't see who wrote what, history assumes it's all
> > written by one person :S
> >
> > The data on disk is correct, it's the display that's broken, so it
> > can be fixed for my existing logs btw.
>
> I see ... Maybe I can try implementing something; this would again be
> a thing for KDE4, I guess.

Arguably it's a bug fix, but it depends a lot on how difficult and intrusive
the change is whether it can go in 3.5. Even while it annoys me as it is now,
I think it's probably wiser to let myself and other users suffer until
KDE 4...

> OK, see attachment. I made this big patch more as a "proof of
> concept", but I see it's better if some parts are split for KDE 3.5.

Thanks! I have reviewed a few, see below.

> > Those can probably all go into KDE 3.5 right away and make the
> > remaining patch a fair bit shorter.
>
> I think I'll continue working on the rest (header, UI, maybe I'll try
> to get something done about multi-person chats) which could then
> maybe go into KDE4.

In that case, because KDE 4/Qt 4 are at some places different, please develop
against KDE 4 directly. Patches written for 3.5 are not always
straightforward to port.

Now, on to the patches:

> - accelerators: ddds keyboard accelerators to the dialog.

This is not a diff, but a new .ui file. Not bad per se, but harder to review.
Will get to that one later.

> - bugfixes: fixes two bugs in the plugin:

Haven't tested, but seems ok.

> - i18n: The dates in the list view "Date" column and at the top of the
> message view are now localized.

This one is ok. Do you have an SVN account or do you want me to commit?

> - searchErase: A click on the "Erase" button now cancels a running search,
> which would otherwise run unneccesarily on in the background.

Haven't tested or reviewed yet.

> - selectionChanged: The message is now loaded when a item in the date list
> view is selected, no matter if by mouse or by keyboard.

Haven't tested or reviewed yet.

> - typography: The time in the messages is now no longer displayed in bold
> face (as an alternative, one could put the <b></b> tags around the
> parentheses, too).

I'm going to reject this one, as it changes looks in the stable Kopete. The
current way of displaying is not exactly pretty, but it works. Removing the
bold attribute makes it harder to read. Putting the parentheses between the
<b> as you mentioned as alternative would be acceptable though but not worth
the work if we go to the chat window styles in KDE 4 anyway. I could commit
it like that of course if you like.

Bed time :)

And thanks again for the good stuff you're doing!

--
Martijn

10 out of 5 doctors think it's OK to be schizophrenic.