List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] Common emoticon specification
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-11-02 10:05:44

On Thursday 02 November 2006 04:17, Matt Rogers wrote:
> My personal opinion is to remove the protocol element and add a protocol
> attribute to both the string and image elements to do per-protocol
> emoticons.

How are per-proto emoticons implemented?

Is it possible that e.g. : ) in MSN yields another image than in ICQ?

Or is it just that the ascii devilish grin } : - > in MSN should be coded as
( 6 ) ?

If the latter then you only need the attribute per-string and not per-proto.

I do agree to make proto an attr rather than element though. Or rather,
without having read the gaim-devel mailing list for the reasoning behind it,
fail to see why that should be necessary ;-)

Also, a long-standing wish that I eventually wanted to implement in Kopete
back when I was still working on it was to allow the engine to do more
sophisticated markup as well, like changing *bold* to <b>bold</b>
and /italic/ to <i>italic</i>, or even to support '/me' again.

If we make the icon spec a shared standard (yes please! :) ) we have to keep
in mind any ideas like that. Either we decide to handle those outside
the .xml, we decide to not implement them at all, or we need to provide the
necessary hooks for extensibility.

--
Martijn

Do not mistake an intelligent argument for a correct argument.