List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] my first bugfix :)
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-03 9:18:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le Vendredi 3 Juin 2005 10:53, Chani a écrit  :
> On June 3, 2005 00:17, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > well, the patch is quite difficult to read.
> > next time you send a patch, please actually attach it in a joined file,
> > because kmail will add word wrap which make the patch difficult to read.
> > In addition to that, it is impossible to apply the patch, or open it with
> > kompare.
>
> will do.
>
> > The Philosiphy of the (old) function you modify is the following (IIRC)
> > 1) Nicks were showed without emoticons in the chat window, so remove the
> > emoticons in nicks that are inside the message.
>
> emoticons are showed in the contact list... so can we have them in the chat
> window? pweease?

I just described what the function currently do.
Of course, that 1# is fully obsolete now,  and even before, it was
disscutable.

> > 2) Add a link so that a popup menu may be shown when someone write
> > someone's nick.
> >
> > IMO, this function is broken because
> > 1) nick emoticons now appears now in the chat window
> > 2) i don't see the interest off adding nick links, specially because it
> > is very slow in a IRC channel.
>
> in single chats, however, it can be useful.

please explain why.

> > you tried to repair 1# ,  but in fact you broke the whole function
>
> doh, I did break the links for people with emoticons in their names...
> didn't realise that.
> but at least I don't have emoticons randomly appearing and disappearing any
> more :)
>
> > I have done fast two untested patch.
> > correct.diff  remove the behavior #1 , but let the behavior #2 untouched.
> > dream.diff  remove completely addNickLinks
> >
> > personally, i would, if other agree,  commit dream.diff :-)
>
> hmm. correct.diff still manages to break links, because by default the
> names show up without emoticons in incoming messages.

oh, then there is another problem.
the parseEmoticon should be placed in KopeteMessage::toXML
the problem is that style will render it badly.

> it still allows the status messages to be consistent, though - all
> emoticons show up there, *and* links work.
>
> but if emoticons are in status messages and not incoming messages... then
> if I change correct.diff to add links properly for incoming messages, it
> breaks status messages.

what does status message are doing there ?

> it seems to me that if links are to be kept (imho they're a good thing)
> then status messages have to behave the same as the names for incoming
> messages. so either they all have emoticons, or they all don't. I really
> hope they can all have emoticons. I like emoticons. they're pretty :) and
> in names you generally don't have the problem of code being interpreted as
> emoticons. :)
>
> so, I'll attach two patches: one that consistently works with emoticons,
> and one that consistently works without them.
>
> actually... no. I can't do that.
> I can't figure out how to make it work without emoticons, because that's
> what started my bug-hunt in the first place. trying to remove them from
> status messages has very weird and unpredictable consequences, so you get
> about half the emoticons showing up at random, and that really bugs me.

I don't understand,  what are status messages ?

> so.. afaik, the only diffs that will produce nice, sane results are your
> dream.diff (which I personally don't want) and my attached diff.
> I've tested my diff and it *appears* to work exactly how I want it... but I
> am tired so I don't fully trust that :)

The attached patch look better, yes.

but this way to parse emoticon in nick is very slow,  one should instead parse
them at the source.  ie in Kopete::Message::toXML