List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] KResource wiki page (aka how much we suck at
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-21 6:04:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

In another great example of just how well we do a great job of communicating
around here (that's got sarcasm baked in, smeared on, etc. IOW, I can't
express enough sarcasm in email to make you understand how frustrated I am by
this lack of communication) there is now a a wiki page on the KDE wiki that
talks about the KResources contact list stuff. There are a few HUGE problems
with this:

1. It's not linked anywhere. Not even on the Kopete Development page. Somebody
get a link there before it drops off the last changes section of the KDE
Wiki.

2. It was never announced on the mailing list. For those of you that think
that IRC should be the preferred form of communication amongst the
developers, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND! IRC should _NOT_ be the
preferred form of communication amongst the developers for the following
reasons:
 a. time zones. not everybody is online at the same time to discuss things
 b. limited audience. not all developers can be on IRC to discuss things. see
also point a.

3. IMHO, Wiki's suck for discussing things, because IMHO, there's no real way
to really see who's commenting on what unless we're all really good about our
wiki markup, and that won't happen. this is less of an issue than 1 or 2
though.

Look, I wanna contribute to Kopete's development. I would think that my
presence on this list, as well as my presence on IRC when I am able would
indicate that. However, if we cannot do a better job of communicating, it
doesn't make it fun to contribute because then I know exactly dick about
what's going on, and I like to stay informed. This is not Duncan and his band
of sidekicks or whatever anymore. There are more people now and we can't just
be off in our own little worlds. We _HAVE_ to start communicating more. We
_SHOULD_ be using this list rather than IRC to discuss major issues such as
this. yes, IRC is great for small things, or to bounce ideas off of people so
that a proposal or a more concrete idea can be formed, or to say that you've
finished a patch, where should you send it type stuff, and I could go on.
Maybe I'm the only one left out of the loop because i'm not in Europe and
have no job, or a job that lets you IRC 24/7 like everybody else, but we had
this problem earlier and we've lost good developers over it. If you want to
lose another one, keep it up. That's not a threat, but a promise. I can't
stand the lack of communication. We can (and should) do better.

That concludes this rant that I'm sure everybody will ignore. :/

Matt