List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] USPTO #6,699,125 revisited
From:       Josef Spillner <josef () ggzgamingzone ! org>
Date:       2005-02-07 9:34:23

Developers,

as you might have read on slashdot [1], Yahoo has filed for a patent of
combining IM and games, called GameProwler [2], in 2001 and was granted the
US patent 6,699,125 last year.

After reading through the claims, it seems that they are generic enough to
apply to any potential games played over both Kopete and Gaim, regardless of
the protocol.
The GGZ plugins which implement Kopete and Gaim gaming integration [3], have
been developed some weeks ago. Thus, they seem to be infringing on the patent
in question.

This is just to inform you that I'm informed about this issue already :-)
I'm not going to stop development - in fact, this is a prime example of stupid
trivial patents, which I will use to help fighting the current IP enforcement
brain damage in the US, Europe and other regions.

Josef
(FFII member for 2 years, KDE developer, and addicted to games)

[1] http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/02/06/2040208.shtml?tid=155&tid=10
[2] http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/games/play/play-23.html
[3] http://www.de.ggzgamingzone.org/screenshots/0.0.10/gaim.jpg

--