List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] the purpose of make-it-better (Please Read)
From:       Keef Aragon <karagon22 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2005-02-07 8:06:34

Since it's on topic - I've got Yahoo webcam viewing support using code I
dropped into libkopete and yahoo both... not sure how extendable that'll
be into other things.  Yahoo support is still very buggy... or rather,
has 2 severe bugs: after starting a webcam, whether it succeeds or not,
all future receive transmissions fail (don't fail, just don't do
anything after a request is sent to the yahoo server... all incoming
messages from then on out don't get handled - possibly an issue with
libyahoo2).  And if viewing a cam, closing then reopening that cam...
segfault occurs.  I can probably fix this one pretty easily but haven't
looked at it yet on account of the first problem.  After I have that
implemented that I'll drop in broadcast support.  With a central
structure (v4l only at first) inside of libkopete to be used in yahoo.
With this as a priority, maybe there is someone out there more familiar
with the yahoo code already there willing to help track down and kill
this issue? ;-)

Also noting to the previous comments about concern for jpeg-2000 patent
/ copyright issues.  I looked into it, and jpeg-2000 itself is an ISO
format and has no legal issues in and of itself.  Lizardtech is trying
to claim rights for a patent on HOW a jpeg-2000 images is processed...
not the jpeg-2000 itself.

Thanks,
Keef