List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [kopete-devel] Re: Metacontact::photo() part III, contactlist photo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-05 7:14:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 04 December 2004 11:55, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
> 1- Should I make a new style [1] or just use the current detailed view?

i'm with mattr on this one.

> 1.1- in case [1] I want to hear ideas about this style.
> 2- Should I put the photo AND the icon (like the screennie) [3] or use the
> smile icon only if no picture available [2]

if the smile icon is on the right, then it should probably always be shown.
the reason is that if the photo is on the left and the icon is on the right
then one has to scan _both_ sides of the window to see who is and who is not
online. this is not optimal.

i'd also recommend putting a small margin of 1 or 2 pixels around the photo so
it's visibly apparent where one photo ends and the other begins.

also think about making the icon top justified rather than vertically
centered, and making all account entries the same horizontal size.

these should all help the scanability of the dialog.

> 2.1 in case [2], the photo doesn't show if the metacontact is offline or
> not. Does making the photo b/w if offline makes sense?.

no, because the image itself might be b/w. desaturating it would likely work,
however. how about using the disabled icon effect as set in the icon theme?

> In cas [3] what to
> show in contacts where no photo is avaiable to alow all cells have the same
> height?

nothing? just make them taller?

--
Aaron J. Seigo