List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Remove group by metacontact
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2003-11-05 13:50:58

Le Mercredi 05 Novembre 2003 13:30, Jason Keirstead a écrit :
> On November 05, 2003 04:55 am, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > Personally I would like to have a single chat _VIEW_ (not window!) per
> > meta contact. Does anyone want the distinction between the various
> > contacts in a meta contact, other than perhaps an icon that can be part
> > of the XSLT style?
> > --
> > Martijn
>
> Do you mean if you are talking to a guy in MSN and he then msgs you via a
> query on IRC you want it appended into the same KMM?
>
> Interesting idea.... except
>
> 1. Right now only Keramick is using the ProtocolIcon feature. This could be
> dealt with

We have many way to differences the account....
the display name, the protocol icon, ...
but is it realy needed to make this diferance?

> 2. Where do you get this icon? The icons are created dynamically with
> coloring effects, and if you were doing this you'd certainly need to
> differentiate between the contact on MSN@Home and on MSN@Work, which would
> likely be colorized differently.

Yes, that's a challenge, and Like i already discussed with Will, we will find
a solution after KDE 3.2

> 3. Which account decides things like titlebar icon, titlebar title, online
> status etc?

The last one used by the contact to contact us.

> 4. Does he show twice in the members list? Probably not I suppose

maybe

> 5. If 4 is not true, and the view is "unified", then which account do
> things like User Info and File->Send use?

The last used one. if it support file transfer

> Other than that I think it could be neat...or it could be a disaster...

that's true

> But it'd be such a drastic departure from common behaviour that I think
> we'd kind of need to do some kind of a case study with users to see if they
> felt this was too strange. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing something this
> radical without such a case study or user survey or something...

this is a verry interesting behavior.  I already thought to it in the past.
this is certenly more interesting than the groupping per metacontact option
we actualy have.
At this level, if we kee it, i suggest to make it the default, it's better
than the no groupping at all.
(just a suggestion)